APTA Academy of Education Physical Therapy Faculty Development Workshop 2022
Dates: July 14, 2022 - July 16, 2022
Time: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Contact: SHERRY BATTLE
Registration for this Event is closed, please contact Sherry@aptaeducation.org if you need assistance.
Physical Therapy Faculty Development Workshop 2022
July 14-16, 2022
The overall goal of the workshop is to introduce novice faculty to their roles in the academy and facilitate their professional growth as faculty members. Participants will create a personal sustainable development plan that considers academic teaching, scholarship, and service responsibilities. Additionally, the workshop will assist participants in initiating and cultivating a network of academic colleagues among workshop participants and faculty. The importance of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging will be themes throughout.
The learner will:·
- Develop strategies for balancing responsibilities of teaching, research, and service,
- Discuss the relative importance of tenure and/or promotion at your institution,
- Discuss curriculum assessment and scholarship,
- Discuss the role of faculty in curriculum assessment
- Apply core principles of teaching and learning in the course and syllabus development
- Develop student assessments that promote the reliable and accurate evaluation of student learning
- Use active teaching & learning methods in your teaching
- Develop skills for improving student engagement in learning
- Discuss the principles of educating adaptive learners
- Develop skills for encouraging and developing students’ professionalism
- Implement student policies considering stakeholder perspectives
- Develop skills for managing troubled or troubling students
Learning opportunities for all participants
The workshop covers three major topical areas relevant for the novice faculty member, preparing you to be able to understand
- The life of a faculty member
- Teaching and Learning:
- Students’ Professional Formation
Learning opportunity for Directors of Clinical Education/Academic Coordinators of Clinical Education:
Those who have roles in the clinical education component of their programs are invited to participate in an additional workshop afternoon: DCE as Faculty Member:
- Discuss the responsibilities of the DCE/ACCE
- Develop strategies for managing student-related clinical education concerns
- Discuss strategies for building academic/clinical partnerships
- Implement a clinical education program assessment plan
This workshop is designed for full-time PT or PTA faculty who have less than five years of experience as faculty members. Priority enrollment will be given to members of the Academy of Physical Therapy Education, APTA. The maximum registration is 85 participants.
Given that there may be a discussion about sensitive issues and difficulties some participants face in their roles as faculty, participants and faculty will be asked to agree to a promise of confidentiality.
18-22 Contact Hours
Please do not make travel arrangements until you receive confirmation of registration.
2022 Dates of Sessions (all times are CST)
Thursday, July 14, 2022
8:00 am - 5:00 pm CST
Friday, July 15, 2022
8:00 am -5:15 pm CST
Saturday, July 16, 2022
8:00 am - 1:00 pm CST
Optional DCE workshop: (must attend all three days to participate): Director of Clinical Education as a Faculty Role
Saturday, July 16, 2022
1:30 pm - 5:30 pm CST
As of March 28, registration is full. Please click here to be added to the waitlist.